TITLE: STRAIN OF ORIGIN III
RELEASED: December 2013
1. Dust Proud (¹fm¹ remix) – Bon Chat, Bon Rat
2. Nag Champa (Nakagin remix) – The Townhouses
3. Brick (0point1 remix) – Reuben Ingall
4. Orca (Aoi remix) – Nakagin
5. Elope (Bon Chat, Bon Rat remix) – Trjaeu
6. The New England (The Townhouses remix) – Spartak
7. Aphoria Horizonte (Sadglint’s Diamond Cubes remix) – Sofie Loizou
8. Home (aheadphonehome remix) – Inch-time
9. Sadglint (Spartak’s Love Like Fire reduxxx) – Sadglint
10. Gazelle130 (Reuben Ingall’s Aerospatiale Gazelle remix) – ReSTReAM
11. Arts Roughage (Anomie’s Muckraker remix) – Aoi
12. Outer Space (ReSTReAM remix) – Scissor Lock
13. Stockholm (Inch-time remix) – Underlapper
14. Malevolent (Trjaeu remix) – Vacant Lake
15. Kora Bomb (Underlapper remix) – Children of the Wave
16. Maise (Vacant Lake remix) – ¹fm¹
17. Journey to A (Scissor Lock remix) – aheadphonehome
18. Worm/Child sing-a-long (Children of the Wave remix) – 0point1
Feral Media and LoFly Recordings are proud to present the third edition in their annual Strain of Origin compilation series. The labels once again act as curators enlisting some of the most exciting artists from around the country to take part.
The artists featured on this years release are: Aoi, Nakagin, The Townhouses, Bon Chat, Bon Rat, Children of the Wave, Scissor Lock, Spartak, Trjaeu, Anomie, Vacant Lake, Inch Time, ¹fm¹, Reuben Ingall, 0point1 and Sadglint with Feral/LoFly label artists ReSTReAM, aheadphoenhome & Underlapper making a return appearance.
The concept remains the same with each artist submitting a track to be remixed and in turn receiving a track from which to create their contribution for the release. Once again the results are nothing short of amazing and are a true testament to the wealth of talent currently active in the Australian underground music scene.
The compilation kicks off with Sydney producer ¹fm¹ taking on Dust Proud by dream pop heroes Bon Chat, Bon Rat, easing the dance floor stomp of the original into a contemplative beat piece. The beats continue with Nakagin transforming the slacker pop leanings of The Townhouses tune Nag Champa into an airy electronic jaunt, true to the producers dreamy style.
Elsewhere Canberra outfit Spartak build on Brisbane artist Sadglint’s lush slow core gem to create a sprawling epic, replete with saxophone flourishes, falsetto vocals and driving percussion.
The mid section sees things shift up a gear with Reuben Ingall reimagining Restream’s Gazelle 130 as a propulsive soundtrack to a sci-fi action sequence; which leads into Anomie’s full blown rinse out of Aoi’s track Arts Roughage, before easing of the gas a little with Aussie ex-pat Inch-time’s understated, brooding techno take on Sydney band Underlapper.
Closing out the comp Scissor Lock renders Brisbane’s aheadphonehome almost unrecognisable in typically jarring fashion, before Children of the Wave close proceedings with their splendid take on 0point1’s track Worm/Child Sing-a-long, which washes over the listener like a warm Summer sun shower.
Strain of Origin III is another uncompromising entry in the series, providing a comprehensive snapshot of both new and established Australian artists.
With the undeniable musical talent showcased on this years effort, we can’t wait to continue the series in 2014.